We got this recipe from the All Recipe site. When the crew does something special we like to throw out something nice…RRRR! When they do something really special then we bring out the Ravishing Red Velvet Cake! They will definately take a break from plundering and pillaging to settle down and meet in the galley and have a meal with the promise of this fantastic dessert delicacy to sum it up. Fantastic does not describe this treat but Ravishing does. Treat your crew and kick back and enjoy the applause!! AHOY!
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon butter flavored extract
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons red food coloring
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 2 – 9 inch round pans.
- Cream shortening, butter flavoring, sugar, and eggs until light and fluffy. Make a paste with food coloring and cocoa and add to the shortening mixture.
- Mix buttermilk, salt, baking soda and vinegar; add to mixture. Slowly add flour to mixture.
- Put batter into 2 greased 9 inch round pans. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool completely, then frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.
- To Make Cream Cheese Frosting: Combine 1/2 cup butter, cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mix until well blended.