St. Patrick’s Day Reuben Casserole
- Yield 8 servings
Serve this vegetarian casserole with Irish soda bread, and you have a complete and festive meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 head green cabbage, cored and sliced 1/2-inch thick (approximately 8 cups)
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch-thick coins
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 2 pounds skin-on red bliss potatoes, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 12 slices Light Life Fakin Bacon (Smoky Tempeh Strips)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded low-fat Swiss cheese
- 3 cups canned vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cabbage, onions, carrots and caraway seeds and saute 4 minutes until cabbage wilts. Set aside.
- Arrange half the potatoes in a 9-x-13-x-2-inch baking pan covering the bottom. Layer half the tempeh strips over the potatoes, top with a layer of half the sauteed cabbage mixture. Sprinkle with half the cheese. Repeat layers using the remaining ingredients.
- Pour the broth over all. Cover the pan with foil and bake 45 to 50 minutes. Remove cover and continue to bake 10 minutes until top browns lightly. Cool slightly before serving.