I was writing and article about all the things I didn’t know about The miracle liquid WD40 and I am sure you know everything that I didn’t know about it but it got my thinking what else don’t I know about other things. So I clicked one button on the information super highway and found this, I thought as a Prepper always using situations as teaching moments.
I needed to share this with my family to show them the value of a once highly valuable commodity. Seems they already had seen this list, apparently it was so several years ago in something called a “magazine”. Well it couldn’t have been that long ago salt has been around before computers or is that something else I didn’t know? Anyway here is the list.
Uses for Salt
1. Clean brass, copper and pewter with a paste made of salt and vinegar, thickened with a little flour.
2. Salt added to the water of cut flowers will survive longer.
3. Ink spot on your carpet? A mound of salt will soak it up.
4. A damp cloth with salt will clean the bottom of a sticky iron.
5. Saltwater in your double boiler will make foods cook faster.
6. Salt added to beans as they cook makes them cook slower.
7. A Salt and lemon juice mixture cleans piano keys.
8. Plaster small holes with equal parts of salt and cornstarch, and just enough water to make a stiff putty.
9. Rinse a sore eye with a little salt water.
10. Mildly salt water makes an effective mouthwash.
11. Salt in warm/hot water is good for a sore throat gargle.
12. Dry salt on your toothbrush makes a good tooth polisher.
13. Use salt for killing weeds in your lawn.
14. Gelatin sets more quickly when a dash of salt is added.
15. Fruit sprayed with lightly salted water will not discolor.
16. Fabric colors hold fast in a saltwater wash.
17. Milk stays fresh longer when a little salt is added.
18. Use equal parts of salt and soda for brushing your teeth.
19. Sprinkle salt in your oven before scrubbing clean.
20. Soak discolored glass in salt and vinegar to remove stains.
21. Clean greasy pans with a paper towel and salt.
22. Saltwater boils faster when cooking eggs.
23. A little salt in whipping cream makes it whip more quickly.
24. Use Salt to put out kitchen fires (never water). While I am sure this works because it smothers the flame and deprives it of oxygen but I envision someone trying to put out the flames waving a Morton salt container around severally burning themselves .We recommend using flour it has the same effect and is usually found in large mouth containers thus being easier to spread over the flame from a safer distance.
25. BARTER… if you are preparing for hard times store some to barter. Salt was once used in commerce and as currency and we all know history repeats itself.
26. Salt cured meats and fish last longer for storing.
27. Hunters sometimes use salts to preserve the hides of game to use at a later date.
Now I am sure there are more uses that I don’t know about so feel free to share the knowledge, with the old Salty Dawg.